CORIANDER – KETUMBAR ~ all about spices and herbs
What would a dish without spices? I am sure that the answer is ... too plain a.k.a boring......... !! And it's true that spices enrich our food and our lives, too. That's why I include assorted spices below, just to make sure that your life is not too plain or too bored to live.............
Google

Thursday, March 6, 2008

CORIANDER – KETUMBAR

Coriandrum Sativum



Family: Carrot (Apiaceae)
Synonyms: Chinese parsley, cilantro
Form of use: seed, dried, whole and ground, and leaves, fresh, root
Origin: an herb native to and common in southern Europe and western Asia for thousand of years. Today, coriander is spread throughout the Mediterranean, the Netherland, the Balkans, Russia, India and America.
Aroma: the aroma of the fruit is pleasantly nutty and spicy. The smell and taste of coriander haulm as well as its roots is very strong and sometimes you must get used to it!
Use: coriander seeds are classic spices added to baked goods or used as a spice for dishes containing cabbage, potatoes and legumes. They enhance the taste of roast fish, poultry and meat dishes and complement chutney, plum jam and pickled vegetables as well. The herbs is mainly used as spice in Thailand, Indian,Mexican and Brazilian cuisines. Coriander seeds are added to liquors and vermouth and were used in beer production during the middle ages as well.
Buying/storing: coriander seeds, whole or ground, are available in the spice section of well-supplied and supermarkets. Green coriander is available in the vegetable section throughout the year.
Coriander seeds should be stored in an air-proof closed container in a cool, dark place to keep their aroma for up to 1 year. Ground coriander loses its taste very fast. The leaves and roots of coriander can only be used fresh because they lose their flavor if dried.
Properties: the 12-24 inch high plant is not picky about the quality of its soil. Its leaves are fan-shaped in the lower part and pinnate in the upper part. The blossoms form an umbel, bloom white and develop into globular, round, yellow-brown ribbed fruits. The diameter is 1.5-3 mm. The seeds are dried and ground after harvesting.
Related spices: coriander resembles parsley in many ways. Both their leaves and their blossoms are very similar and can be easily confused. Both herbs are used in a similar manner in cooking because their leaves tolerate neither heat nor drying. You can make broth from its roots.
Mythology: coriander is one of the oldest cultivated plants. It was mentioned in the Bible as one of the bitter herbs of the Passover feast. Seeds were discovered in archaeological finds among cultural relics from the Neolithic era. Traces of coriander found in the tombs of the Pharaohs show that coriander was also appreciated in ancient Egypt.
Medicinal use: coriander contains essential oil which help stomach and intestinal disorders and have a sedativeeffect on nerves. Coriander is flatulent because it stimulates the activity of intestinal musculature, causing interstinal convulsions and strengthening the stomach.

TIPS FOR COOKING:
The aroma of coriander intensifies when the seeds are crushed in a mortar or roasted in a pan without any fat. Coriander goes well with cumin, chili, fresh mint and garlic.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...


I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world had crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could live a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from church to church but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could sever, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure for Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua herbal treatment (A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Shingles, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com WhatsApp: +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219.